- "That's a reekfish ( _ inches)! This sacred fish is only found near the Zora village. It... reeks."
- — in-game decription
They have a terrible odor, and feed on coral. Yeto the Yeti constantly raids Zora's Domain to retrieve Reekfish, possibly having knowledge of their coral diet. To find Yeto, Link must record the scent of the fish by catching one near the Mother-and-Child Rocks in Zora's Domain using the Coral Earring given to him by Prince Ralis. Reekfish are apparently very sacred to the Zora, and are very large in size, second only to the Hylian Loach.
- "The Fragrant Reekfish! Lives in the swamp. Likes to swim in the shallows. Sounds smelly, but it actually has a pleasant scent..."
- — Swamp Fishing Hole Poster description
In the 3DS remake of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, a different species of Reekfish native to Termina appears called the Fragrant Reekfish. Unlike its Hyrulian counterpart, the Fragrant Reekfish lives in the shallows of the Swamp Fishing Hole and can be caught with a standard bobber lure provided Link is wearing the Mask of Scents. Also unlike the Reekfish of Twilight Princess the Fragrant Reekfish actually has a pleasant scent.
The Reekfish from Twilight Princess is based on an actual species of fish called the sockeye salmon.
Reekfish is a portmanteau of "reek", which is a repulsive smell, and "fish". It also may be a pun of Rockfish, an actual name for many types of fish.
Food Grade Level
- Bronze Food - Reekfish
- Silver Food - Tasty Reekfish
- Gold Food - Delicious Reekfish