- "Ahhh... So there are some who still pay me homage. What were you praying for? Long life? Wealth, like so many of your kind? Whichever it was, you came to the right place. A dealer in life and power... That was me, once. Alas my life-for-money bargains didn't sit well with the Goddess Hylia. She trapped me in this stone statue long, long ago. The villagers here call me the Horned Statue and don't even bother to wipe away the bird droppings. One would think years upon years of such treatment would have made me mend my ways... One would think wrongly. I have only been biding my time for the moment someone who can hear me appears. Someone such as you. But I've said enough. Now then, shall we strike a bargain?"
- — Horned Statue
The Horned Statue was originally an unnamed Demon to whom people once prayed and made Faustian deals in order to obtain long life or wealth. This did not sit well with the Goddess Hylia who trapped it in the Horned Statue as punishment. Hateno Village was built near where it rested and the people began calling it the Horned Statue, although they generally ignored it to the point they would not even bother wiping away the bird droppings. However, despite years of mistreatment, the Demon refused to mend its ways and waited patiently for someone who could hear it and thus strike a bargain with it.
A young boy named Teebo found the statue and later showed it to the current incarnation of Hylia's chosen hero, Link. Mistaking it for one of Hylia's Goddess Statues, Link prays before it. The statue assumes that he was paying homage to it and is surprised when Link could actually hear it. The demon tells Link about its past and attempts to strike a bargain, but Link refuses. It thus steals one of Link's Heart Containers or Stamina Vessels (which it refers to as "Essence") without leaving a mark.
This unlocks the side quest "The Statue's Bargain" where Link tries to get it to return the stolen essence. When Link demands, the Statue explains that he only wishes to create a long and profitable relationship with him and offers to provide him with a service. It consists of taking a Heart Container or Stamina Vessel and then for the profit of 20 Rupees, trading it for the other, Link can thus trade a Stamina Vessel for a Heart Container or vice versa. This allows Link to change his mind on how he invests his Spirit Orbs.
Link can choose any option to complete the side quest which unlocks the Horned Statue's exchange service. The statue will buy either essence for 100 Rupees and sell the essence of Link's choice to him for 120 Rupees. Though Link is suspicious of his motives, the Horned Statue explains that Money and Life are all as one to it revealing that it is only interested in doing business with him. The trading service can allow Link to swap one essence for another in situations where he may require more Heart Containers than Stamina Vessels such as obtaining the 13 hearts for pulling out the Master Sword from its pedestal to complete the quest "The Hero's Sword".
- Horned Statue: "Ahhh... So there are some who still pay me homage."
- Link: "You can talk?!"
- Horned Statue: "You don't say... You can hear my voice?"
- Link: "Yes."
- Alternatively, Link can say "No" but the Horned Statue will merely laugh before saying the following.
- Horned Statue: "Now that is a surprise. What were you praying for? Long life? Wealth, like so many of your kind? Whichever it was, you came to the right place. A dealer in life and power... that was me, once. Alas, my life-for-money bargains didn't sit well with Goddess Hylia. She trapped me in this stone statue long, long ago. The villagers here call me the Horned Statue and don't even bother to wipe away the bird droppings. One would think years upon years of such treatment would have made me mend my ways... One would think wrongly. I have only been biding my time for the moment someone who can hear me appears. Someone such as you. But I've said enough. Now then, shall we strike a bargain? Then stay that way. No further action on your part is required. [steals a heart from Link] Fa ha ha... My touch is as subtle as ever... Note how I took that essence from you with leaving a mark."
Return and talk to the statue
- Horned Statue: "What's wrong, then? Have your prayers gone unanswered?"
- Link: "Give it back."
- Horned Statue: "Fa ha ha... Did you think I'd deceived you? Perish the thought. I hope that ours will be a long and profitable relationship. So which will it be? As I may have mentioned once or twice, I'm a dealer in life and power. I can provide a valuable service to you. I take Heart Containers or Stamina Vessels from you... and then, for a price, return whichever of the two you like."
- Link: "Give me a heart (or) Give me stamina."
- Horned Statue: "A wise choice. Now, remain still." [gives a heart or stamina vessel depending on player's choice] "You look skeptical. Not to worry. Money and life are all as one to me. If you are ready to begin, then first you must sell me either type of essence for 100 rupees. If you want to buy and essence back, the price rise to 120 rupees. Before you cry foul, know that you may choose which one I return to you: a Heart Container or a Stamina Vessel. I'm eager to help tamper with your essence anytime you want to return and pray here."